The Best Bacon Onion Jam! The only burger topping you will need. Sweet caramelized onions, salty bacon, and tangy vinegar are perfectly balanced and slow cooked to perfection. Take your burger from good to gourmet by adding a spoonful of this jam. Your tastebuds will thank you.
Bacon Onion Jam Recipe – Pin it for later!
This post contains affiliate links. That means that if you click on a link within this post and a purchase is made, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more details please visit our disclosure page.
Related Content: Teriyaki Turkey Burgers with Grilled Pineapple
Related Content: Bacon Cheeseburger Gnocchi Casserole
Take your burger from good to gourmet!
One of my mom’s favorite meals ever is a good juicy hamburger. So I knew when we were planning our most recent lunch date what the basic menu would be, but I wanted to add a little something extra and flavorful to top our burgers. That is where the Bacon Onion Jam comes in. She is not a huge fan of onions, but the slow caramelization of the Vidalia onions and the salty and sweet additions to the jam made this our absolute favorite burger topping! This will forever be a staple in our house from this point forward.
Just FOUR Ingredients!
With just four ingredients, this is a must make for your next summer picnic or barbecue. You probably already have these staple ingredients in your pantry.
Recommended Kitchen Tools
Bacon Onion Jam – The Only Burger Topping You Need!!
- 1 pound bacon – cut into small pieces
- 2 large Vidalia onions – sliced thin
- 1/4 Cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 Cup balsamic vinegar
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Cook bacon pieces in a large cast iron skillet. Drain the grease, leaving 2 – 4 tablespoons in the pan.
- In the same pan, add the sliced onions. Toss to coat with bacon grease. Over medium-low heat, cook the onions until they are a deep brown color and caramelized, stirring frequently. This will take about 45 minutes to an hour. Don’t rush it! The longer they cook the more flavor it will add.
- Add the brown sugar and balsamic vinegar to the pan. Don’t forget to scrape the bottom to get up all the good cooking bits. This adds flavor! lots of it!
- Continue to stir until the liquid reduces by about half. This will take about 5 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon the delicious Bacon Onion Jam into a mason jar and let it chill in the fridge until you are ready to add it to your perfect burger.
- Will keep for a week or two sealed in the fridge. (If it lasts that long!)
Can You Eat Bacon Onion Jam On A Keto Diet?
This recipe can be adapted to fit a ketogenic diet by replacing the regular brown sugar with Brown Sugar Substitute. I would also suggest using regular yellow onions as there are fewer carbs than the sweet Vidalia onions. As always calculate your macros individually based on your personal needs.
Curious about the Keto Diet? You may be interested in the answers to The 10 Most Asked Questions About The Keto Diet.
Love this recipe? Be sure to PIN IT using the image below!
You must be a burger lover if you are on this page! What are some of your favorite burger toppings? Tell me in the comments below, the wackier the better! Can’t wait to hear all of the answers.
If you love this recipe, be sure to join us over on Facebook! We share all kinds of recipes and craft ideas that are perfect for busy families on the go!