These Chocolate Sugar Cookies are one of our absolute favorites. They are slightly crunchy on the outside but still moist and chewy on the inside. The deep rich flavor of chocolate in these cookies is simply irresistible. Pour yourself a nice tall glass of cold milk, and you have the perfect afternoon snack.
The teens have really shown an interest in learning to cook lately. I love having those special moments with them in the kitchen. Having 4 boys, I was a little worried they wouldn’t have any interest in cooking or baking. So far, 2 out of the 4 have a pretty strong interest in cooking and I just love that. I get to teach them how to get around in the kitchen, and a few tips and tricks when it comes to food.
Today we learned how to separate an egg. The 15-year old teen did great! Got it on the very first try and no shells were even in the bowl. We made up a batch of our favorite Chewy Chocolate Sugar Cookies! I am going to share this incredibly moist, chewy, crispy and oh so perfect recipe with you all!
Chocolate Sugar Cookies!
- 3/4 C. Butter (1 & 1/2 sticks) melted and cooled
- 1 3/4 C. Brown Sugar
- 1 Tbs. Vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1 Egg plus 1 Egg yolk
- 1 1/2 C. Flour
- 3/4 C. Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/4 C. White Sugar
- Preheat your oven to 359 degrees
- Lightly grease a cookie sheet.
- Whisk together the butter, brown sugar, vanilla and salt just until combined.
- Whisk in the eggs until completely combined.
- Stir in the flour, cocoa, baking soda and baking powder. Mix just until all ingredients are completely combined. The dough will be thick.
- Pour the white sugar into a small saucer.
- Roll 1 Tbs. of dough in the palms of your hand to form a ball. Roll the dough in the white sugar until coated.
- Place on the cookie sheet and flatten with your hands or the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar.
- Bake in a 350-degree oven for 10 – 12 minutes or until the edges are slightly golden brown.
- Do not overcook.
Cookies In The Making!
Here are a few photos during the process? This was happening in our kitchen…
*Tip – Dip the bottom of the glass in the white sugar before flattening. This will keep the dough from sticking to the glass.
- ¾ cup butter (1 and ½ sticks) - melted & cooled
- 1¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbs vanilla
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 1½ cups flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup white sugar
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease cookie sheet.
- Wisk together the melted butter, brown sugar, vanilla and salt until combined.
- Wisk in the eggs until completely combined.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in the flour, cocoa, baking soda and baking powder. Mix just until all ingredients are combined fully. The dough will be thick.
- Pour the white sugar onto a small saucer. Roll 1 Tablespoon of dough in the sugar until coated.
- Place on the cookie sheet, and flatten slightly with the bottom of a glass.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 10 - 12 minutes
Do you have a favorite cookie recipe? For us, it is a toss-up between the oh so fabulous Neiman Marcus Chocolate Chip Cookies and these Chewy Chocolate Sugar Cookies! You should make them both, and let me know which one you prefer!
If you like this recipe, You may also like …